about this amazing hydroponic homeless community re-integration program… We are indeed “sweaty” sheep as we continue putting our Orthodoxy into “Orthopraxy!”
We are thrilled to announce our first two “Homeless Gardeners” are no longer homeless!!! Not only that, but with the ranch rocking and two mobile units placed, THESE GUYS ARE FEEDING PEOPLE!!!! Stop by the vet center on Front St. Santa Cruz Wednesday at noon and sit with some special neighbors while feasting on fresh organic veggies!
Cultivating relationship, purpose, and organic veggies for all!
How can you help you ask?
- Donations of gift cards: Help us provide for those who are working to provide for the community! These veterans are transitioning out of homelessness and any support towards food, transportation, social services, or therapeutic services (medical, nutritional, counseling, etc) is incredibly helpful.
- Purchase a Garden: We have matched up with Tower Aeroponic systems and each garden sold earns a crew member a $50 deposit into their new savings account! Part of our work lies in teaching financial literacy and budgeting so to help individuals save for a housing deposit and move out of transitional housing.
- Visit/volunteer at our farm!!! We’ve partnered with www.costonoacommons.org and host volunteers every tuesday 10am-1pm and would love to schedule a special intro/workday for you and/or your group side by side with our special needs and homeless gardeners! 335 Golfclub dr., Santa Cruz CA
- Hire one of our trainees! Our program is meant to be a transitional (and transformational) step towards longterm employment and housing…. We would love to work with you as a potential placement site for individuals as they grow ready to re-enter the workforce.
Make a financial contribution. All donations are tax exempt and we invite you to direct your support towards general operations or specific initiatives:
- Provide a scholarship for a local church or nonprofit to host a hydroponic unit and mentor one of our participants
- Provide a personal hydroponic unit for a vet as a personal small business opportunity.
- Contribute to participant stipends (allowing our vets to be self-supporting as they advance
1029 S Preston St.
In Louisville, Sweaty Sheep launched RunPossible, a program partnered with St. Vincent De Paul that provides mentorship and wellness opportunities to individuals facing homelessness and/or working towards sobriety and self-sustainability by pairing each with local community members such as YOU. Through running and walking, Yoga, Zumba, nutritional education, and personal relationships RunPossible initiates a self-transformation process through exercise and wellness that aids in the development of life changing friendships and self-confidence.
Every Tuesday we meet for a walk/jog at 6pm and on Fridays at 5:30pm we host Yoga with KY Yoga Initiative or Zumba with a skilled instructor. All located at 1029 S Preston Street in the SVDP Family Success Center.
Like us on Facebook
||Free Yoga or Zumba
Need a break???
We will be hosting a contemplative retreat at Mt. Hermon this fall along with Missio Dei and Bayshore Church that kicks off Friday with a kayaking and sailing dock party as a pre-retreat adventure.
The retreat will be help at Mt. Hermon and all the info is here.
Pricing is looking like this:
Kids 0-3: Free
Kids 4-17: $40
That includes accommodations and meals from dinner Friday to breakfast Sunday, plus programming. That’s slightly more than I mentioned last week. It’s still subsidized a bit for most. If that’s out of your price range feel free to use the prices I sent before. We don’t want cost to be a reason for anyone missing out on what should be a great weekend, so if it is a problem and you want to attend, please don’t hesitate to email us and we will make it work.
DON’T MISS A FLOCKING!! Sweaty Sheep is truly Christianity on the Move, and we want YOU to keep up! Join our text message list (we won’t flood you with messages) by texting “Sheep” to 51555. This is a simple, no strings, cancel anytime, text group. If you do want to donate you can text “Sweaty” to 41444 and you can make a pledge for later or specify a donation amount. Thank you all!!
It’s that time of year again! Ironman is October 15th, and there’s a ton of ways to get involved! First of all – if you’re doing Ironman, let us know on Facebook or by sending us an email.
Come out this Thursday for a concert and bourbon cook-off! Jesse DeConto, writer for Christian Century and indie musician, will share his stories through song. Come listen to his band, Pinkerton Raid, eat some great food, and taste home-brewed beer at Calvin Church, 2501 Rudy Lane, this Thursday at 6:00!
Now is the best time to get involved! Sign up on runpossible.sweatysheep.com to join our Wednesday morning runs at 6:00AM every week! We meet at Hotel Louisville (Wayside Christian Mission) to inspire and be inspired by some amazing people from Wayside as we run and walk together. Everyone’s welcome (slow or fast!), and if you can’t make it on Wednesday mornings, just hit the donation button to the right to buy a pair of shoes for one of the participants in need!
Join us in May for runPossible – a run/walk ministry for the disadvantaged. We’ll meet at 6:00AM Wednesday mornings at Wayside on Broadway. Click here to volunteer or learn more!